Chairman of Keynsham Walking Football, Mike Slucutt, presents the match before today’s game

Today’s match ball was sponsored by Keynsham Walking Football.  The club which has over 100 members meets every Tuesday and Friday mornings and Thursday evenings.  Games are played on the main 3G pitch or in the courts at one end. For further details please visit our Walking Football Page.


The visitors, Hallen, got off to a quick start at the AJN Stadium when, after 3 minutes Elliott Gibbons was fouled on the edge of the box and Kyle Thomas struck the free kick past a static Ash Clark in the Keynsham goal, to go one up.

Hallen pressed again minutes later.  Two high challenges were let go by referee Matt Rushton and Sasha Tong and goalkeeper Ash Clark tussled for the ball, with another high tackle from Sasha, but Ash managed to gather ball, but at a cost to an injury to himself which needed some attention.

Keynsham struck back on 12 minutes when Craig Wilson won the ball and threaded a pass through to Matt Brown, who was one on one with the goalkeeper, but the striker’s shot was well held by Liam Macfarlane diving low to his left.  Hallens’sElliott Gibbons shot over from the edge of the box beforeMatt Brown put a high cross into the danger area with defender and goalkeeper uncertain who should go for the ball.  The defender’s clearance went to Matt Long whose shot was saved.  A Keynsham free kick by Matt Long almost reached Jamie Noble at the far post, then Craig Wilson headed down but Matt Long’s half-volley went over the bar.

Mike Grist and Sash Tong challenged for a high ball forward, but Sasha, who won that dual, shot over.  Elliott Gibbons then put a long ball to Edward Bamfo who passed to Aron Robbins whose shot was blocked.  When a Hallen defender miscued his clearance, Jamie Noble was unable to control the ball and take advantage of the chance.  In the last minute before half-time Matt Long’s corner was passed back to an advancing Steve Scott whose powerful, low shot was blocked.  It had been a fairly even first half, and Keynsham could consider themselves to be unfortunate to down at the break.

The home side started the second period the stronger with Craig Wilson shooting just wide and then minutes later his pass to Sam Downes resulted in his shot hitting the post.  Craig Wilson minutes later found himself in a lot of space but his 25-yard shot cleared the crossbar. Keynsham then had a shout for a penalty turned down by referee Rushton before at the other end, Elliott Gibbons shot over following good approach play from Aron Robbins and Sacha Tong.  Craig Wilson then had another attempt, receiving the ball with his back to goal, he turned and shot over. Keynsham’s efforts were finally rewarded on the hour when Matt Brown on the right, pulled the ball back to Jamie Noble in the penalty area and he controlled the ball and buried it in the left side of the goal.

Hallen’s responded quickly when Sasha Tong found Kyle Thomas on the right and he crossed to Aron Robbins at the far post, who just failed to connect with a sliding lunge.  Another long ball into their opponent’s box found Jamie Noble and he appeared to be nudged before the ball was cleared, but the home side did not appeal for a penalty. Sasha Tong had two half-chances but his attempts were cleared, the second by Jordan Anstey under great pressure.

After 70 minutes Troy Walters replaced the injured TaurenWilliams and manager John Allen instructed him to play in the centre of the attack with Craig Wilson moving out to the right. With 10 minutes to go, the home supporters were now hoping for a well-earned draw against their high-flying opponents. Their hopes were dashed though when substitute Ben Wiltshire put in a well-flighted cross from the right to the far post and Kyle Thomas was there to nod home.

Keynsham responded when from a corner, Scott Saunders put a well-flighted, dangerous ball into the box which just eluded his strikers.  Danny Lock pressed forward beating several players, but eventually his shot was blocked.  Substitutes Troy Walters and Stef Lee both had half-chances, the former going wide and the latter blocked.  In the dying seconds another corner passed back to Scott Saunders saw his shot scream over the bar.

A hard-fought match with plenty of tough tackles, mostly legal, resulted in referee Matt Rushton issuing no yellow cards, allowing the game to flow.

Star man: Kyle Thomas (Hallen)


Keynsham Town        


1 Ash Clark

1 Liam Macfarlane

2 Tauren Williams

2 Jack Mills

3 Danny Lock

3 Tom Bradley

4 Mike Grist

4 Martin Stowell

5 Jordan Anstey

5 Luke Hall-Cousins

6 Scott Saunders

6 Sam Hill

7 Sam Downes

7 Edward Bamfo

8 Matt Long

8 Elliott Gibbons

9 Matt Brown

9 Sacha Tong

10 Craig Wilson

10 Kyle Thomas

11 Jamie Noble

11 Aron Robbins

14 Troy Walters

12 Ben Wiltshire

15 Jamie Price

14 Shakeil Green

16 Stef Lee

15 Robert Latham

17 Harley Purnell