‘Where the Place? Upon the Heath!’ the programme covers states and the ground, with its rolling, sloping pitch is about as different as you can get from Keynsham’s level 3G surface.  However, it is as well maintained by groundsman Keith Huxley, who could be seen immediately after the match preparing it for their next home game against Exmouth on Wednesday.

Cadbury Heath were without top scorer Matt Huxley and one or two more senior players and their form has dipped in recent matches without them.  The first half produced few clear-cut chances but the visitors produced 90% of the attacking play with just rare raids into their half, spearheaded by George Boon and Enis Akgun.

Most of Keynsham’s probing runs came from Troy Walters who always looked dangerous on the right.  Stef Lee had to replace the injured Cam Ricketts midway through the first period.  Most of Keynsham’s attacking play fizzled out with the final pass, a tame shot or one wide of the target.  The crowd, boosted by a good traveling away support, were expecting the Heath to have held on to a nil-nil score line by half-time and were a bit surprised when Keynsham were awarded a rather soft penalty.  This was duly dispatched by Mike Grist, who gave the goalkeeper, Oliver Jones no chance with a fierce shot down low to his right.

The second half continued in the same vein and the visiting fans became agitated with mumblings of ‘one-nil is never enough’ and ‘we’re going to pay for these missed chances’.  However, they needn’t have worried because the move of the match involving several players came with about a quarter of an hour to go, which was started and finished by Matt Brown and resulted in Keynsham doubling their lead.   The goal had followed some sustained pressure by Cadbury Heath and it eased the fears of the travelling fans, about half of which were walking footballers. The game looked safe now as the Heath didn’t look like scoring one goal, let alone two. Keynsham’s back four of George Rooke, Mike Grist, Jordan Anstey and Danny Locke were in commanding form.

The match was put to bed following a Keynsham corner from Scott Saunders which Mike Grist hammered home.

Six points from their last two matches enabled Keynsham to keep their 12th place in the league and their position at Step Five for next season, but in which league is anyone’s guess after two more are introduced at this level next season.

Report: Mike Slucutt (written without the aid of my notes which mysteriously went missing on the walk home).

Star player:  I made it Troy Walters, but others at the match thought it should be Jordan Anstey and the paper gave it to Mike Grist for his two goals.

PS My wife went on a mission to find my notebook and duly did, but it was rather wet, soggy but still legible.



Cadbury Heath Keynsham Town
1 Oliver Jones 1 Ash Clark
2 Harry Goldspink 2 George Rooke
3 Tom Withers 3 Danny Lock
4 Joe Woodley © 4 Mike Grist ©
5 Matt Binding 5 Jordan Anstey
6 Lewis Saunders 6 Scott Saunders
7 Dan Winstone 7 Cam Ricketts
8 Kristian lee 8 Matt Long
9 Enis Akgun 9 Matt Brown
10 Dan Carter 10 Troy Walters
11 George Boon 11 Jamie Noble
14 Ben Allen 14
15 Ross Moorhead 15 Steff Lee
16 Lewis Hedges 16 Tauren Williams
17 Charlie Wright 17 Luke Bamfield


Referee: Nick Metcalffe.  Assistants Nathan Rehman and Frazer Lewis.